Powerful enough to make your blood boil. Literally.
Paradox has revealed the second of the vampiric clans that will be appearing in Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 will be the Tremere clan.
The Tremere clan specializes in “blood magic”, giving them an arcane edge in combat over other clans such as the Brujah. Because of their willingness to use sorcery and their knowledge of the occult against not just other humans or beasts but other vampires as well, the Tremere are often branded as “witches” or “heretics” by their fellow Kindred. Despite their overall feelings of disdain, the other vampiric clans acknowledge and respect (and likely fear, at least a little) the skill that these blood mages have in the arcane arts.
According to a release from Paradox, players who decide to join the Tremere clan during their playthrough of Bloodlines 2 will unlock two additional skill Disciplines, each with their own powerful abilities. These skilled are detailed in the release as follows:
Thaumaturgy is the Tremere’s signature blood sorcery which grants unparalleled destructive power. Auspex expands the Tremere’s senses beyond the boundaries of their bodies, ensuring nothing stays hidden to the Warlocks.
- Skewer – Launches a small portion of the vampire’s blood at the feet of their enemies, where it erupts in a patch of razor-sharp spikes. Once they dissolve, a stream of blood flows back to the caster.
- Purge – Allows the vampire to make their victims vomit up blood, damaging them heavily. A stream of blood flows back to the caster.
- Blood Boil – A master of Thaumaturgy may cast Purge for a second time on an affected NPC, causing the blood in their veins to sear. The wretch explodes within moments; bystanders in a large area are damaged. Blood from each victim streams back to the caster.
Use of Thaumaturgy in front of witnesses is a Masquerade Violation.
- Aura Sense – Allows the vampire to spot NPCs even through walls, read crowds at a glance, and mark individuals to keep them in their sights over long distances. It also allows the user to spot the weaknesses in a marked NPC’s attack and defense.
- Psychic Projection – Detaches the vampire’s mind from their body. Untethered, they can explore the area in astral form, remaining free to use Aura Sight to mark any character they spot. Beyond that, the vampire’s mastery of their own senses has grown to such an extent that they can telepathically overwhelm the senses of others for a short while.
Use of Auspex is not a Masquerade Violation.
Players who join the Tremere clan can use these disciplines in addition to the individual powers from their Thinblood past.
So wait, not only can I force someone to vomit up all their blood, but I can then make what little blood I left in them explode? Gross. I love it.
If you’re eager for more on Bloodlines 2, be sure to see what we thought of our inital 30-minute gameplay demo from its reveal back at GDC 2019.